Monday, June 30, 2008

Pirates & Graphic Tees @ LB Sea Festival

MEG mentioned pirates in her post the other day....
I ran into some on Saturday, and I figured I might as well share my recent experience.

For some reason I was compelled to attend the Pirate Festival held this weekend on the Belmont Pier in Long Beach. "Why?!?" you might ask... Because it's PIRATES! If you knew there were pirates about 5 blocks from your home... I bet you'd be there too!

Well...
Maybe I had too high of hopes, but the Pirate festival was lame.
Entertaining maybe (the "pirate" to non-pirate ratio was remarkably high).
But still... really lame.

Except for this beautiful lady:


It kinda felt like the "Pirate Festival" was just an excuse to get advertising in front of all the local pirates (more than I knew existed). In addition to a few vendors selling "actual" pirate wares, there were numerous distinctly pirate vendors such as: artificial lawn installers, local gym memberships, baseball tickets, inflatible bounce-houses for kids, and cable TV.

But it wasn't a total waste...
I did catch this killer local T-shirt vendor... TeedOffTees.com
Not a real exciting website, but great shirts nonetheless.

Now for my rant about Long Beach's "Sea Festival" which organized this atrocity... suffice it to say that this pirate event was in my opinion rather typical of the "The Sea Festival" (which costs the City of Long Beach serious cash every year) which supposedly has organized "more than 90 events" over the course of this summer... such unique and distinctive Long Beach events as the 4th of July!!! Why are my tax dollars paying for 3 different "fireworks watching" parties... At places that are generally open to the public anyways! What the hell! I'm having a 4th of July party! I want to get city funding! The only difference is that corporate sponsors are going to show up at their event and try to sell you stuff! But guaranteed the "Sea Festival" is going to claim that thousands of people showed up just because of their awesome organizing skills and this justifies giving them more money next year. And someone is getting rich on corporate sponsorship in the process.
I'm so over it.

1 comment:

MEG said...

Wow. Pirate lady definitely deserved special comment. Her decolletage defies the laws of physics, and she has a pipe!

I'm disappointed that the Pirate Festival didn't have booths for peg legs, eye patches, monkeys, feathered hats, parrots, swords, and so on. Where is the average pirate supposed to get their supplies, anyway? The Pirates of the Caribbean store in Disneyland seems only to feature novelty t-shirts, keychains, action figures and fake jewels. What the fudge?!

I guess this is our only hope:
http://www.826valencia.org/store/